2.0RSSBBC News | Health | UK EditionUpdated every minute of every day.Rubella fears after measles epidemicHealth officials warn that action is needed to prevent a rubella outbreak, which can be particularly dangerous to pregnant women.Fri, 17 May 2013 11:39:22 GMThttp://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-22569279#sa-ns_mchannel=rss&ns_source=PublicRSS20-saTime-lapse imaging 'improves IVF'Time-lapse imaging which takes thousands of pictures of developing embryos can boost the success rate of IVF, according to British research.Fri, 17 May 2013 01:49:29 GMThttp://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-22559247#sa-ns_mchannel=rss&ns_source=PublicRSS20-saMental health 'bible' is updatedAn update to one of the most important manuals in mental health - known as the bible of psychiatry - is published.Sun, 19 May 2013 06:45:33 GMThttp://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-22570857#sa-ns_mchannel=rss&ns_source=PublicRSS20-sa
For all calls - routine and emergency HISTORY OF THE PRACTICE
The history of the practice can be traced back to the early 1930s, when Petts Wood was first developed as a garden suburb.
To serve the rapidly expanding population, four doctors moved into the area: Dr Beech, Dr Jenner, Dr Milner and Dr Norman Alfred Vernon. Dr Vernon, who was also the Orpington police surgeon, bought the house "Mapledurham" in Chislehurst Road and there established for himself a medical practice.
At the outbreak of war in 1939, Dr Vernon joined the Royal Army Medical Corps, leaving the supervising of his patients to the other three doctors, on the understanding that they would return to his care at the end of hostilities. Sadly, he was killed on active service in 1942.
After the war, in 1946, Dr R H (Rex) Carpenter bought the practice from Dr Vernon's widow for £500 and found he had only 10 patients. A large house at 10 Birchwood Road, which had suffered some bomb damage, was purchased and restored and from there a new medical practice was established and conducted for 32 years.
In 1978, on Dr Carpenter's retirement (to the Chislehurst golf course!), Dr Douglas Moss was appointed to the practice. Unfortunately, the Birchwood Road house was not available, so the present property in Tudor Way was purchased, extended and adapted. As the practice continued to grow and the services offered were expanded, more help was needed and a partnership was established.
In 1994 Dr Evans left the practice to be close to her ageing parents and 1995 saw the retirement of Dr Moss. Dr Raja took over the practice from Dr Moss and was joined by Dr Nava and Dr Lamb. Dr Lamb subsequently moved on to a full-time post and we were joined by Dr Jaisri.
In January 2006 we opened a branch surgery in Bickley in order to have the space to facilitate all the extra clinics and demands the new contract has brought.This is also to comply with the Disability Discrimination Act.
We were very fortunate to have Dr Rajamenon join us in January 2006 as a partner. She has become a great asset to the practice.
Practice's Freedom of Information Publication Scheme
here to view our Practice's Publication Scheme
(we are required to make this available under the Freedom of Information Act 2000)
Practice News and Notices
There are currently no notices.
The practice would like to thank the various advertisers who have helped to produce this Website. However, it must be pointed out that the accuracy of any statements cannot be warranted, nor any products or services advertised, be guaranteed or endorsed.